New Zealand Publicizes Costs in Lethal White Island Volcano Eruption

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – About a year after a volcanic eruption killed 22 people on White Island’s New Zealand island, a security official has ordered organizations and individuals to take part in the crash.

Speaking on television on Monday, Phil Parkes, chief executive of WorkSafe, said 13 parties – including corporations, government agencies and three individuals – had failed to meet their targets and would be prosecuted in court.

“This very tragic incident was unexpected, but it does not mean that it was unexpected, and there is a duty for workers to protect their caregivers,” Parkes said. “The victims – both workers and visitors – all hope to be able to visit the island knowing that the organizations involved have done all they can to take care of their health and safety.”

The corporations are accused of paying $ 1.5 million in New Zealand, about $ 1 million, while the three are accused of being corporate executives and are being fined about $ 210,000 for their actions. The first case is set for December 15.

These cases are unusual: Under the Accident Compensation Corporation scheme, New Zealanders often do not have access to disaster services due to negligence, no matter how serious. Although 13 agencies have not been named by WorkSafe, two government agencies, GNS Science and the National Emergency Management Agency, have confirmed that they are among the accused. GNS Science monitors explosive events. If found guilty, the two corporations pay a fine to the government, ultimately taxing the taxpayer.

The volcano, also known as Maori, Whakaari, erupted on December 9 last year. At the time, 47 people, including tourists and guides, were on the island, looking for a snapshot of New Zealand’s natural resources. The victims were children and retirees.

As a result of the tragedy, some asked why the visitors were allowed to go to the volcano. Volcanologists have already warned that the White Island could be a catastrophe, with GeoNet, New Zealand’s environmental monitoring official, reporting a number of weeks of eruption, raising its warning to 2 out of 5 possible. .

Trips to the remote island have already been suspended, although they are being invited to resume new security measures.

During the eruption, trips were conducted under the auspices of the island’s family and a small number of readers, falling under the control of the so-called shocking events that require corporate security screening that “deliberately exposes the student to potential health and safety risks. are involved. ”

Comments are closed.